Thursday 26 March 2009

My Achilles Heal

I've now been off work due to rupturing my Achilles heal for nearly three months. It happened whilst playing football on a cold Friday evening and as I settled on the sofa the following day I compiled a list of things I wanted to achieve with this gift of time that had dropped upon me so unexpectedly. Here a few things off that list:

- Improve my guitar playing.
- Improve my piano playing.
- Write lots of songs.
- Learn about sound engineering.
- Study the Welsh revival.
- Get closer to God.

At best I have to say that only some of the items on my list were mildly achieved, but the one that has really got my attention now that I'm looking back is the 'Get closer to God' one. Friends who've been through a similar situation have told me that the time was a blessing in disguise as they were able to grow closer to God. I wouldn't question this for a second. However, in my case what I have learned is that man can't control God. I can't plan out when God is going to do anything. There are times and seasons for everything and God alone dictates when you have growth spurts. I was naive.

This isn't to say that I've felt far from God and have been wandering through a dessert of loneliness. Quite the contrary, what I have found is an amazing peace and rest bite. I feel that I'm on the brink of starting a new season in my life and these few months have been amazing, as I've shed some burdens and anxieties. There have been lows as well of course, as my spirit continues it's battle with the flesh, but I guess the bottom line is "bring on the next step".

1 comment:

  1. dude!! didnt know u started blogging...i so totally agree with u mate, bring on the next step i say! I'm glad that this next season i have a feeling is not far-off for u and the band. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete